Today marks week 37 of what is supposedly a 32 week contract period. Conveniently for Metricon there are provisions in the contract that entitle the builder to claim an extension of the contract period. The two main causes of delays and extensions applicable to our build are due to adverse weather and the industry shutdown being a 5 week period commencing on or about 22 December.
Unfortunately after taking these extensions into account, we are still inside the contract time. Mind you, the liquidated damages that we are entitled to if the building works do not reach practical completion by the end of the contract period is outrageously inadequate – $30 for each working day equates to roughly $180 per week! If you’re renting and paying the mortgage, any delay imposes a strain on the finances. Sigh😭
So, where are we at I hear you ask?
- We received notice of Practical Completion (PC) for Thursday 13th August but JM hasn’t confirmed time for the PC walk through.
- Metricon sent the final invoice and we are now waiting for our bank to issue the cheque.
- We received an email outlining all the items that are our responsibility to complete prior to the issue of Interim and Final Occupancy Certificates. The only item required for the IOC is the installation of privacy screen to the master bedroom balcony. This is proving tricky as Metricon won’t allow our contractor onsite to complete the works until after handover.
- We also received our independent building inspector’s Pre-Handover report. For peace of mind, I highly recommend investing the money to engage a licenced builder to check for any defective workmanship or incomplete works. Houspect’s report contained 26 pages of detailed notes and visual evidence of all external and internal defects. Some of the defects were obvious but a few were surprising and would have been missed had we not had Houspect carry out the inspection. JM has his work cut out to rectify all the imperfections before our PC walk through.
- Temporary fence and portaloo have been removed. This is a huge milestone and signals the end is very very close!
Suffice to say, we are officially over the build! We just want our house.